Wednesday, December 13, 2006

For Your Amusement

My brother is an economist in Washington DC. He sent me the following e-mail:


I've been reviewing some applications from newly minted PhDs. Highlights from the applicants so far: Names have been changed to protect the innocent(s)

Cover letters:
I have also substantially improved my communication skills by actively joining the renounced speech club, "Toastmaster International"
I also have a diverse level of written communication skills.

From the Recommendation letters:
Matt's paper makes two important contributions. First is a policy contribution, but second is a significant mythological contribution on problems with measurement error in imputing tax prices.

And my favorite in the raised eyebrow department:
Susan has large, positive externalities....These externalities explain why I have latched onto her as my primary co-author.

Sorry but I can not attach a photo of Susan's large positive externalities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! If only UW would give free tutition to these scholars if they agree to live in the state.

Denis Navratil said...

Or if they agree to live in another state.