Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Coming Clean

OK, I will come clean. My last thread, "Experts Warn of Split White Vote" was a lie. I made it up as an experiment. I wanted to see what kind of reaction I would get.

A few days ago, I came upon a local site called Insider News. The Insider News is a newspaper and web site that caters primarily to Racine's black community, so far as I can tell. Anyway, I found a thread entitled "Experts Warn of Split Black Vote." That thread is now gone, replaced by a similar, longer thread entitled "Will the Black Vote Split." You can read it at racineinsider.blogspot.com.
Anyway, the relevant paragraph is still there. It reads:

"Some black community leaders will not say it publicly, but they are concerned a crowded field including three well-known black candidates in the Racine mayoral campaign could split the black vote and throw the race to a white candidate."

Sound familiar? I basically used the same wording except I switched white for black and posted:

"I am aware of some white community leaders that won't say it publicly, but they are concerned that a crowded field in the mayoral race, including several well known white candidates, could split the white vote and throw the race to a black candidate."

Frankly, I find it rather disturbing that there are community leaders who openly (well, depending on the race of the listener) espouse racial solidarity in an election. Disturbing, but not surprising.

Thankfully, the Free Racine readers who did react displayed a negative reaction to the faux news regarding white solidarity. Not so over at the Insider News. Electing a black candidate apparently trumps, for some, electing the best candidate. How sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew there some something funky about that post... as you could probably tell by my reaction to it.

Mixter

Denis Navratil said...

Thanks for being a good sport Mixter.

Anonymous said...

Stinky, poopy head... :)

Mixter