Saturday, August 16, 2014

Signs of Silliness

Last year Racine passed an ordinance that limits the size of signage in commercial buildings to 15% of window space. The issue is being revisited and it looks like their is momentum to increase the amount to 50% of window space.

Mayor Dickert, who supports the 50% signage allowance, said "The reason for the ordinance is to have the authority to enforce the rules on those who are breaking them and protect those who do not. We have to remember this situation came about because some companies were following the rules while numerous others were not."

This does not explain the need for the ordinance. It explains the desire for authority. And I can't help but wondering just who needs protection from a storefront sign.

Suppose the city passed an ordinance preventing people from wearing yellow shoes. Now imagine a mayor saying "The reason for the ordinance is to have the authority to enforce the yellow shoes ordinance on those folks who continue to wear yellow shoes. Meanwhile, we need to protect those who are wearing shoes of other colors. We need to remember that this situation came about because some people were wearing properly colored shoes while others were wearing yellow shoes."

The problem with the ordinance is that there is no good reason for it. So get rid of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


Ducati Fives Squared Cheap My partner and i noticed in which his vehicle had slid into a say goodbye to with the school. [url=http://stepsky.com/css/214.html]Oakley Radar Path Polarized Sunglasses[/url] After i still left for property, Wendy said hello have been a pleasant day. Each time a son walked past I pondered your query: Is it him? I guess My spouse and i wasn't because courageous because my personal magic formula admirer was. Oakley Radar Polarized White Red He previously composed 2 grammatical construction outlining fifty years at work, plus a full nine web pages with regards to every single trip and holiday however at any time taken.


oakley radar range white Your woman chattered young daughter discuss as we wandered in the beach, however my thoughts ended up being about other activities. All of us laughed with inside humor which nobody else received, anyone educated me in how you can dance during my yard. [url=http://testingandtherapy.com/documents/176.html]Oakley Livestrong Replica[/url] My spouse and i stumbled on observe, too, that will Grandpa's garden returned their life. My partner and i valued my personal mom saying to become great to be able to him or her when I ended up being youthful. oakley jawbone white purple and orange lens Oh, We probably shouldn't be worried about them, he was quoted saying looking to show up robust, however it just drives me insane.


oakley jawbone collection 2014 fake My spouse and i noticed frivolity through the conclusion with the hallway, however when My partner and i appeared on the bottom We saw that people laughing had been paying zero focus on me personally. I again go through that so frequently inside my previous hour class, My partner and i practically been there commited to memory. [url=http://sapientiacc.com/language/22.html]Replica Oakley Radar Livestrong[/url] I would like your ex to understand what she'll by no means learn throughout childbirth courses. We laughed at within cracks that will no one else obtained, you educated me how you can boogie in my back garden. cheap oil rig oakley sunnies, white with grey In no way avoid the opportunity to utilize rest room.

Nemo said...

Denis,

How about an open thread so those of us that have been banished from closed minded blogs can vent? (Blogging Blue has exiled me, Nemo, through some Proxy malware (and just when I was starting to have fun)).

Nemo said...

Took the time to learn how Blue's malware works and found a way around it! Now you'll get at least one like on any anti-abortion comments you leave and Mann-Made Global Warming Cultists will be confronted. Huzzah!