Saturday, February 09, 2008

Money Well Spent

I was out of town for a while but I saw in the USA Today that Joshua Dyess was sentenced to 30 years for his sexual assault of a six year old boy. It is not cheap to incarcerate someone for 30 years - I would not be surprised if the bill will exceed one million dollars.

And this is where the thinking ends for most liberals. They know well the costs of incarceration but they tend not to consider the cost of NOT incarcerating criminals. In this case, the cost would be having more children raped.

I am glad to pay my share to protect the children of our community.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, so why we don't we treat catholic priests charged with molestation the same way as we treated Josh Dyess?

Parrish reassignments don't solve the problem, incarceration will.

Denis Navratil said...

I don't know anon. I think anyone who rapes a child should spend a lot of time in jail. But the priests crimes are somewhat different than Dyess's. Priest pedophiles tend to groom their victims whereas Dyess's crime appeared to be more spontaneous and violent. I don't know if that should be a mitigating factor for the priests or not as the grooming of victims could potentially result in a more difficult recovery, psychologically speaking. I hope you were not insinuating that I would advocate for more lenient treatment for priest pedophiles. Hell no.